Amy and I watched the movie Concussion over the weekend. If you haven’t seen it, it’s the story of Dr. Bennet Omalu’s investigation, identification, and publication of the mental health issues caused by repetitive head injuries sustained over years of playing football. At one point, the movie says that this is the second major case of an entire industry ignoring, refuting, and attempting to bury health information stating that what they are doing is killing people. The first was the tobacco industry which knew for years that smoking caused lung cancer, COPD, etc., and which causes more than 480,000 deaths each year in the United States. The second was Dr. Omalu’s finding that the NFL knew for years that head trauma sustained playing football caused brain damage which he called chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. In the movie, CTE wrecked the lives of former players and led to several early deaths.
I’m starting to believe that there’s a third issue, resulting in chronic illnesses and worse for tens of millions of Americans. Number three on the list of life-threatening things known by companies to cause problems but ignored despite evidence to the contrary are edible products that aren’t really food. Huh? Well, pick up a box out of your panty and read the ingredients. Xanthan gum, aspartame, high fructose corn syrup, monosodium glutamate, red #40, sodium sulfite, butylated hydroxyanisole, sulfur dioxide, and potassium bromate are just a few that you might read. Come on, really?? When was the last time you said “I could really go for some butylated hydroxyanisole right now, mmmmm”? We would never eat any of those crazy additives on their own, but we accept them in our food supply. Why? Because food engineering makes those non-food products delicious!!
We can eat anything that we are able to swallow. But there are a lot of things that we don’t eat. One completely random example is newspaper. We would never eat newspaper. It’s (probably) disgusting, has no nutritional value, would not be digested, there’s no reason why we would eat it. But what if that newspaper had some additives to make it taste delicious? Add a little salt, a little fat, maybe some sugar, mmmmm, now you’re talking. Wait, that Marmaduke tasted a little funny… This all sounds crazy, but do you really know what you’re eating on a daily basis?
We need Dr. Omalu again. We need him to tell us why Americans have such high rates of diabetes, of heart disease, of autoimmune disorders. We need someone to properly investigate the reasons why we are so unhealthy, and then stand up to all of the naysayers and explain to the public that we are slowly, and unknowingly, poisoning ourselves with toxic non-food products.
Luckily, we believe that there’s already a cure to all of this disease brought about by fake food. It’s called cooking. Good, old fashioned, do it yourself meal prep. I know there are a lot of people out there that don’t know how to cook. And a lot of those people don’t have the right tools to cook with. So today we’re putting our money where our mouths are and are starting a random selection giveaway contest for one person to help them get started with their choice of a kitchen starter pack from the list below. The rules for this one will be pretty simple:
HOW TO ENTER:
All you have to do to enter is to sign up for emails from Amy Burns the Recipe Book on the blog website. You can sign up at the very top of each page, in the right sidebar of each page, or in the pop-up box that should have already appeared. Don’t worry if you closed the pop-up, you can just use the top bar or the sidebar to sign up. You will also have to confirm your account by clicking on a link that will be immediately sent to your email address to confirm your subscription. With your subscription, you will get a couple of emails each week about how to make your own super delicious food at home. What an awesome benefit all on its own!!
THE LIST OF PRIZES:
The winner will get to select one (1) of the following three prize packages:
- The Plant Pasta package. This package consists of a Brieftons Tri-Blade Spiralizer, an OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler, and a Veggetti Spiral Vegetable Slicer. With these products, you could get started making our Lemon Garlic Zucchini Noodles with Shrimp.
- The Sweet Potato package. This package consists of a Farberware Nonstick Bakeware 3-Piece Cookie Pan Set, Set of 2 Baker’s Secret 10-by-16-Inch Nonstick Cooling Racks, and Chef’n PalmBrush. With these products, you could get started making our Baked Sweet Potatoes.
- The Broccoli package. This package consists of a OXO Good Grips Green Salad Spinner and a Cuisinart CTG-07-LT Elements Nylon Slotted Turner. With these products, you could get started making our upcoming Broccoli recipe.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- To win, you have to live in the United States or have a United States ship to address. My apologies to all of our international readers. We really appreciate having you on our site and will try to take care of you in the future. Unfortunately, we are just starting out with giveaways and I’m not sure if Amazon will drop ship to all countries in the world for free.
- You must sign up before Noon Eastern Standard Time on Thursday, March 30, 2017.
- One (1) winner will be selected randomly at 2:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on Thursday, March 30, 2017. We will email the winner. The winner will have to provide a shipping address within the United States at that time. If the winner is unable to provide a United States shipping address, an alternate winner will be randomly selected until a United States winner is confirmed. The ultimate winner will be posted to this blog post as soon as the winner is confirmed.
- The winner can select from one (1) of the listed kitchen start up packages.